Friday, January 15, 2010

Pics day 15 - for the love of print







Ok, so today's picture of E is totally staged. But it's still cute! Even though it kind of looks like he's sitting on a toilet. But whatever. I hope and pray that Eli will inherit my love for reading. I am amazed that at this young age (four months!) he enjoys looking at books. Doug likes to read too, he's just....slower at it than I am. I used to devour books when I was young. I remember in early elementary school, my teacher looking at me doubtfully when I told her I had read a chapter book (Superfudge, I think). But I guess she believed me, because I also remember being allowed to go to the "older" section in the school library to check out chapter books before others in my class were allowed to - wish I could remember what grade that was. I would read whatever my older sister was reading at the time, even Animal Farm, a book I had already read before being required to in high school. Also read all of the Laura Ingels Wilder books, more than once! I still love to read, including magazines. Weird Cheryl factoid (fact is weird, not me...ahem...) is that I read magazines like a book; I start on page one and read straight through, looking at every page. If I stop, I place a bookmark and come back to it to finish. In my other posted picture here, I have a stack of current "to read" books/magazines. I also periodically go back to the baby books I've been reading, such as what to expect when the baby is this many months old kind of thing. Both of my parents like(d) to read; mom has always been more of a magazine kind of gal, until lately; since she retired, she has gotten back into reading novels. Now dad, he loved to read. Nothing fiction either. He would much rather read about math or how to fix something. I love that I have that in common with him (reading, but not the love of math!) It was hard for me to "know" dad, since the progressive M.S. stole most of him away from us, but I do know he loved books. Even when he couldn't turn pages, we would leave a large book open on his table in front of him when we left the house, so he had something to look at. In the den area were the encyclopedias, and lots of Bible commentaries, books on math (Shaum's outlines! eek!!), and other titles and types I can't remember. I love feeling connected to dad through the love of reading. I plan on reading to E a lot; hopefully this will instill in him a love of books too!

2 comments:

  1. i'm loving this project 365. learning lots of things about you, myself. loving all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took the same picture of Nathan when he was about the same age as Eli. Books are wonderful and Nathan looks forward to reading each night. Now he is starting to read the books which blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete