Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pics 27 and 28 - anatomy of a crummy, home-grown photo shoot that just didn't work











Why do I think I can take pictures of my 4.5 month old baby all by myself? Most likely because I the patience of...a flea. Maybe that's a bad analogy, maybe fleas are the most patient bugs in the world, but whatever, I have no patience. I have this idea in my head of a Valentine's Day card with adorable pictures of my adorable (of course) baby. He has a cute valentine onsie, and I bought two different fabrics for backdrops. Of course I want to take my perfect picture NOW, or preferably 5 minutes ago. I'm thinking, ok, we are all set to go, we have the outfit, a backdrop - let's get this show on the road. He can't sit up on his own yet, so that does pose challenges. E can lay on his tummy and hold his head up, but is also such a drool-meister right now, most of those shots have lovely drool and/or spit up running down his chin and stretching to the floor. Mmm-mmm. He has a great smile, but of course I can't get him to smile while I'm behind the camera snapping. Lighting always poses challenges, I am forever trying to find the "perfect" light in the house, or outside. Today was overcast, which is wonderful light for pictures, but that was the only thing I really had going for this shoot (besides my beautiful subject). I even made this 'distractor toy' by tying ribbon onto a long stick, and putting pennies in an old medicine bottle so it would make noise. Thought I could shake that with one hand and take picture with the other. Yeah, it worked about as well as you think it would - which is, not at all. I also tried taking pictures INside yesterday, so will post a couple of those as well, still not satisfied with my end products! I also get frustrated with my limited knowledge of Photoshop elements skills, I do know SOME things in the program, but working with the lighting features is still very challenging for me. So, here I am, showing my not-so-perfect pictures of my very-perfect baby. Hopefully before Valentine's Day I can take a satisfactory enough picture that equals what I see in my mind's eye!

1 comment:

  1. these pictures are hysterical! the third one could totally be used for your card. i have a good spot in my side yard that i've draped our quilt over to take my maternity pics. duct tape might work if you did it to your fence. or a staple gun. for shoots like this, you should tell me that you're doing them and we can get together and do them. much easier than doing it alone!

    ReplyDelete