Monday, March 22, 2010

80 - emergency rooms stink

Lucky me started having weird eye swelling and itchy rash like stuff on my head, starting Friday night and escalating through the weekend. On Sunday morning, afraid I might have shingles and worried how that might affect the baby, we went to an urgent care center. After 2 hours of waiting, the nurse practioner told me he didn't have the right equipment to fully examine my eye (my main concern, since it was waaaay gross swollen), that I should go to the ER. Sigh. So off we go. After almost 3 hours there, I got to see another nurse practioner who was stumped by symptoms, as it seemed like shingles, but more atypical I guess. She says she has to confer with a physcian. He finally comes in. Basically thinks it's shingles and gets me some prescriptions, and tells me to make more appointments this week to deal with the eye, the rash, the swollen glands. Fun stuff I tell ya. Since I was there for FIVE AND A HALF HOURS, spending a lot of that time waiting in an exam room, I read all the posters on the walls when I was tired of reading the book I had brought. This one line kept bothering me. So I took its picture with my cell phone. I generally hate phone pictures because they are so grainy, etc. I do not have a fancy cell phone. But here is the picture and then I'll explain:
I put the picture in photoshop so I could underline and make a point of what I found so amusing and interesting to me. It says they are committed to "very good care." Not excellent? Not superior? Just "very good?" I guess I'm so used to hearing "bigger" words to define how great a hospital should be at providing care, I just found the words "very good" sort of...lacking. Every time I've been to Memorial I've had good care, it's not like I have some complaint against them. Maybe they should jazz up their language a litttle bit. Or, don't have people sit so long in the waiting room that their signs are analyzed.

1 comment:

  1. Cheryl!! I just read this! Crazy, after me telling you my story with it. So it was shingles? I was hoping I hadn't scared you too much. :) Hope you are well and getting better. And hope little Eli is okay, too!

    ReplyDelete