Wednesday, February 17, 2010

48 - I love old stuff

I love old stuff. I love to go "antiquing," looking through junk shops, vintage things, thrift store type items - just love it. (thankfully my husband loves to go look at old stuff too!) Lots of my homey-accents in my house have come from antique shops, or out in the fields when we go antiquing in the Spring and Fall in the Warrenton/Roundtop area. I think it's the thrill of treasure hunting that gets me; you never know what you are going to find. Sometimes I go looking with a thought in mind, like, I would like something to hang on the wall in a particular hallway, something like that. The best "finds" though are when I have not been looking for a particular item, like my 1896 wooden church pew (took Eli's birth announcement picture on that bench!) that fits perfectly in our kitchen under the window. Or my "shabby chic" white nightstand in my front hallway, the '50's red clock on the shelf in my kitchen, and the red metal child's ironing board I use as a memo board. Actually the ironing board just holds magnets, it's too cute to cover up with random lists and coupons. My mom and sister like to go antiquing too - we all have something different that we gravitate towards; mom and Laura could spend a lot more time looking at glassware than I can, but I really like primative furniture. Anyway, today, I went over to my mom's house to borrow some tablecloths (I'm having a women's ministry event at my house this Fri evening). Mom started pulling out her vintage tablecloths; then she said the magic phrase - "this was my mother's." Really? That one? Let me see! Old stuff is cool, but when it belonged to someone originally in your family, it's so much cooler. And more beautiful. So, here are some pictures of the round, card table table-cloth that was my grandmother's. I love the detail in the stitching.

There's another table cloth behind it, but I didn't get too many close ups of that one.




I put it on this great little metal princess chair I have (bought out in a field of course) that makes for a great photo prop for a little girl to sit on! Right now it sits on my front porch. Maybe I'll put a plant on it this Spring.

Here's me with the camera.


Bye until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Cheryl for displaying the tablecloth. Tears came to my eyes when you said this was my grandmother's. I too treasure all of her things.

    ReplyDelete