Thursday, May 6, 2010

Pie and a Painting

Today's internet search included "how to zest a lemon," as I needed 1/4 teaspoon to put in Doug's buttermilk pie. His birthday pie. Only my husband would want buttermilk pie. He likes the strangest things sometimes. Anyway, I was worried the pie wasn't going to be any good, but it turned out just right actually. (pat on the back, Cheryl!) Doug also was finally able to see THE present. But first, the pie experience:
Pie recipe came from a Cowboy Cookbook that we have, it's actually quite interesting, has a lot of history about cowboys/cowgirls in it as well as recipes.

Why I feel the need to show my messiness, I don't know. But here it is.

Should have covered the crust with foil. Next time.

Now, for the Present!! Let me just say, I love picking out presents for people. "Gifts" is one of my Love Languages (if you haven't read the Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman, go buy it or check it out right now and read it). A few months ago, Doug was memorizing the verse in Galations about the Fruit of the Spirit. I thought, wouldn't it be neat to get him a framed print of that verse illustrated, he could hang it in his office and be reminded of those attributes during his work day. After looking online, I was not impressed with anything out there; mainly pictures of a bowl of fruit with the Bible verse. I suddenly remembered that the sister-in-law of a friend of mine is an artist, I met her on a scrapbook retreat. I recalled that she did artwork for kid's rooms, painted murals on their walls, that kind of thing. I contacted her and asked if she would illustrate that verse in a painting, and she was willing. I didn't give her any particular instruction on the design, just that it needed to be on the more masculine side and would most likely hang in his work office. I did ask if she could personalize the piece by including our wedding anniversary date, and/or Doug's initials, something like that. I picked up the painting last weekend and wow, I was (and still am) so impressed! It's been hard this week keeping it a secret. After work today, I was able to finally reveal Doug's present to him. Here it is -


I love that she didn't spell out the entire verse, but just used the attributes. The artist (Erin Cryer) also told me how she researched the meaning behind the colors, so that each word is paired up with a color that represents that word or emotion that goes with that word. For instance, Love is on red/orange because red stands for passion. You can't tell from here, but the cross has a nice texture to it.

Here's our anniversary date under the word "faithfulness."

Doug's initials are here under the word "peace."

The only bad thing about this painting is, Doug still wants to put it in his office so I won't get to see it all the time! I was kind of hoping we'd hang it here in the house somewhere. Maybe one day we can trade it out. Happy birthday Doug!

1 comment: