Monday, June 7, 2010

The Canton Experience

This past weekend, we went to visit Uncle Dave, who lives just north of Dallas. We were able to go to Canton on Friday. How fun is it to go to Canton with your husband and brother?! We had a great time. I am so glad they both like doing that kind of thing. Ever since David got his house, he has enjoyed having help "decorate;" I have to put "decorate" in quotes because of course guys don't decorate - they have sisters/moms/nice friends help them pick out items that would compliment their house. Anyway. We did find some fun things in Canton, which I will picture below (eventually - if you don't want to read my story, feel free to scroll down to two of my favorite items I bought). First I have to tell how I saved my brother from buying something too expensive. All day, he kept referring to these three metal squares that he had seen that he thought would look good on a long, empty hall in his house. He would see other things and compare them to these three squares, and decide he liked the squares better. So, as we were heading out, we stop by that particular booth - as we approach, I inwardly groaned and outwardly whispered, "no, Dave, no!" but it was too late, he was already walking in the booth towards the famous squares. More like getting sucked in. It was a Southern Living booth. Don't get me wrong, I love Southern Living items, I own a ton of them, but they are expensive (unless your hosting a party and getting stuff free and/or half off. I tend to buy their stuff when it goes on clearance). So he's talking to the SL representative, they recognized him from earlier (of course, a single guy picking out house stuff, a sitting duck who clearly doesn't shop at Hobby Lobby where you can get extremely similar items for waaaaay less), and Dave asks what I think of the $60 set. The set of three tin/metal, decorative squares that you can get at Hobby Lobby for less than $10 each on sale. The SL rep says if he buys them, he can get something else in the booth half off. I was tempted to just let him buy the set and let me use the half off to get a cute, red-blue-white striped bucket thingy for my front door, but I just couldn't do it. I had to gently let him know that No, this is not a deal. They are cute and all, and would look good in his house, but NOT for that price. Out of earshot of the representative, of course. Had to burst that bubble, rip off the bandaid. All in the name of Teaching Single Brother How to Buy Things for Your House. We actually stopped at Hobby Lobby on the way home from Canton, and David bought a fantastic piece of art to hang above his refrigerator, I was so proud of him - it was 50% off of course. Had to show him where the sale items are, especially the "66% off clearance aisle." All's well that ends well, Lesson Learned.

So, now on to what I purchased. I bought a few things, but these two items were my top favs. First, the rain boots. Or galoshes. Whatever you would like to call them. I call them "great." I seriously have looked for boots like these online, and at Target, etc., but they were always like $30 or more, and I'm too cheap for that. My backyard is muddy, and I'm always going out to the garden, or feeding the dogs, etc. and getting my feet all gross (even in flip flops). My husband and brother thought I was kidding about how excited I was when we saw this big table outside full of rain boots. Look how cute:

How stinkin' cute are these?! And only $19 bucks. I love it.


I may even wear them down to the mailbox on rainy days. Or dry days, depending on my mood.

On to my second fav purchase. Back in April, we visited an antiques booth (during our annual trip to Warrenton/Round Top) and I saw this great, old metal bird cookie cutter. I wanted that dumb thing, but it was the end of our day and we were out of money. It was so unique, and I love the bird theme. It was also a little pricey. Well lo and behold, we find the same people with a booth in Canton. And she still has the cookie cutter. And she's willing to come down $20 bucks. Sweet. Isn't it great?


It was made in the 1800's. I love old stuff. Being able to touch something that someone used over a hundred years ago. Very cool. I have it sitting up on my mantle actually and it looks great.

So, that's my Canton story! Can't wait to go again (when it's a lot cooler outside).

No comments:

Post a Comment