Friday, February 18, 2011

I know too much about the ER

Since the week before Eli was born, I've been in the Emergency Room five times (that's five times in the past 17 months). I ended up taking mom to the ER this past Wed night, as she was having chest pains...(without going into the entire story, she is home today and doing great, so all's well that ends well...). It dawned on me that I am really comfortable now with what goes on in the ER, so thought I would share my observations.

Brief recap - visit one: the week before Eli was born, went to ER in the maternity section for high blood pressure, was sent home; visit two: the next week, went back for same condition, this time I stayed a week and came home with a baby; visit three: last spring (or was it summer?) I actually got SHINGLES in my HEAD - the upper left quadrant - I thought only "old" people got shingles - did I mention it was on my HEAD?! - we didn't know what it was, this swelling itchy mess, I had a nursing infant at home - so off to the ER we went; visit four: this past January, with the unfortunate spotting incident (see previous Pardon the Interruption blog post); and now this past Wed, visit five (with my mom). whew! makes me tired just re-reading all that.

Some observations -
* if you're elderly and live in SW Houston, and have chest pains, they get you RIGHT in. good to know.
* bring a book, snack, bottle of water, cuz you'll be waiting a loooong time usually. May not wait that long in the waiting room, but usually wait forever once you're actually back there. Even this past Wed when I was feeling nervous about going to get mom to take her in, I grabbed a book and magazine before I left the house. It was just automatic.
*They will draw blood, and will tape in the little thingy in case you are admitted and need an IV. This little do-hicky is uncomfortable and annoying on your arm.
*Always ask for two gowns, one to put on the regular way that they want, and one to put on like a shirt. This way your rear end is protected when you invariably have to go to the bathroom (since you've been sitting on that dumb gurney for like an hour) and have to walk down the hallway in your socks, past the folks working at the desk, other patients, their relatives, and the guy mopping the floor. And, it's kind of nice to leave the little curtained-in exam room for a bit.
*you'll have to relay the same information to like 10 people (ok, not quite that many, but feels like it) as to what brought you in.
*the doctor will see you, but also usually has to call another doctor, so you have to wait for that doctor to call back, and the original dr will have a million other patients to run in and see, so you'll wait forever while all this happens. the book comes in handy at this point. I know they are doing the best they can, it's just the reality of it all.
* you get a plastic bag that says "patient's belongings" to put your stuff in since they make you put on that gown (or in my case, those two gowns).
*for the most part, everyone is really nice to you, even if they are busy and don't know all the answers to your questions.

Well, that's my recap that I just felt like writing about tonight! If you ever need to go to the ER, I'm your gal, call me and I'll be right there to pick ya up, book and water in hand.....

1 comment:

  1. You missed one visit. I had a trip to the ER after my wreck. This was a few days before Eli's 100 day party. You got to come visit me in the room then.

    ReplyDelete